Saturday, August 2, 2008

My boat won't float

I thought it was time to "publish" my latest way to describe Lyme disease.

It's like being in a boat with termites. That is a wooden boat...

The most immediate need is the water leaking into the boat which you must bail out. That would be dealing with the practicals of life that I get behind on b/c of the illness. The to do list that multiplies unmercifully even when I can hardly get off the couch.

So, to prevent the water from getting worse, I need to patch the holes in the boat--that is the symptoms of the disease (something like 400 different ones to choose from). I actually am pretty good at patching holes/fighting off symptoms. It takes time--but my health blog is full of ideas on everything from insomnia to general health boosters--learned from years of patching holes.

But the root of the problem is the termites--eating the boat apart--the Lyme bacteria (Borrelia) wrecking havoc inside my body. I can kill off some of it--but so far not all. And so I keep having to bail, patch, and kill--over and over and over and over.

My boat won't float--unless I keep working. I want a vacation, but there are plenty of others who don't get a vacation from their hardships either. God help me keep up the good fight.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I am so glad you started this homeschool blog...it is so helpful to me to see how another fellow-suffering does it and keeps on keeping on. I loved your description of the boat full of holes. I don't have lymes disease, but I have plenty of others...Celiac, osteoporosis, chronic neck/shoulder pain, headaches, tendonitis etc, etc. So I am bailing a lot too! Hang in there dear sister!