Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Does my daughter suffer b/c of my illness?

The other day my daughter had helped me quite a bit and so I was thinking--I need to give her some kind of reward. But then one of those thoughts popped in my head that seemed inspired--(NOT something I'm smart enough to come up with): she's gaining rewards in heaven.

So, I told my daughter I noticed how much she had been helping me and how I thought maybe God had a special reward waiting for her in heaven for all the extra help she'd been that day.

I asked her if there were no limits, what would one thing would she pick (on earth) she would like to have. She said "A Dora castle". So, I asked which would be better: a Dora Castle on earth or to have a Dora castle in heaven that would last forever. She confidently said one in heaven (eyes glowing). To which I said, you never know--God might have a Dora Castle for you in heaven, but if he doesn't, he has better things for you.

I explained how when we do things in secret without getting a reward or applause, that God rewards us. And I encouraged her that she has lots of chances to do service for her sick mommy or to be accommodating to her demanding little sister. She was so excited about this. And honestly, I was so relieved to realize I don't have to make it all fair for her--God will.

I try hard not to take advantage of her obedience for the sake of my laziness. Training her to have a servants heart can be an eternal blessing to her.

1 comment:

Domestically Inclined said...

Now that's what I call a good mommy! Life is hard, but God is good! And He works all thing together for good for those who are His and called according to His purposes....a servants heart most definitley fits into HIS purposes.